Intro to Rock Climbing Experience
Let’s go climbing! We want to share our passion for climbing and Smith Rock State Park with you.
We want to make your first time on the rocks a fun and memorable experience!
All ages and abilities. No experience necessary.
Learn the basics of rock climbing
Have fun while learning some new skills. We provide a hands-on opportunity to climb some of Smith Rocks classic beginner routes. You will have an opportunity to tap into your natural ability as a climber as well as practice some climbing techniques to help you finesse your way to the top of the climb. Smith Rock has beginner level routes. Our goal is that each person has a level of success and is challenged as well. There are climbing routes next to each other of different degrees of difficulty and varying personality so that different members of a group can have an opportunity for both challenge and success.
Learn from AMGA Certified Guides and Instructors
Chockstone Climbing Guides are patient, excellent instructors that have worked with all ages. Share a fun day rock climbing outside and learn the basic skills every rock climber must know.
- learn to tie into the rope to climb
- learn to belay – rope handling skills
- learn footwork and technique helpful to ascending the rock
- learn to lower and or rappel to the ground
- learn a little about the geology and ecology of Smith Rock State Park if you are interested.
READY TO GO CLIMBING?
If you still have questions about your climbing day at Smith Rock or any of our climbing programs please do not hesitate to contact us
All necessary climbing gear is included. We will provide climbing shoes, harness and helmet at no additional charge. Let us know your gear needs upon reservation. You are welcome to bring your personal climbing gear if you prefer.
We welcome all experience levels. No previous climbing experience or special training is required to enjoy a fun, rock climbing experience. Rock climbing is more balance, footwork, leg strength and less emphasis on upper body strength. If it is your first time rock climbing, you need only a general level of fitness similar for any outdoor activity:
- Comfortable, confident hiking on trails and uneven terrain
- Comfortable in high desert climate outside for 4-8 hrs
- We will choose appropriate climbs to suit your needs and ability.
We do not have set start times. With the half day you choose your 4 hour window. For the full day you decide on a start time with a full day of climbing in mind. Our days start as early as 7:00 am and we can climb until sunset.
You will meet your guide at Smith Rock State Park. You will receive a tour confirmation email and guide check in call the evening prior to confirm the exact meeting location details.
Your guide will contact you by cell phone the evening prior to your climbing date to go over details; confirm meet up location and time, review your climbing goals, get gear needs or any information specific to your trip.
- Bring water (2 liters minimum each person for hot summer days). Water bottles can be filled at the parking area of Smith Rock State Park.
- A hearty sack lunch and packable snacks.
Sunscreen, sunglasses and perhaps a sun hat.
- A backpack; large enough to include, water, lunch, snacks, as well as personal climbing gear (shoes, harness, helmet). If you do not have a suitable backpack, we can provide one. Let your guide know ahead of time.
- Extra clothing in case of colder weather. (see below for details).
- Dress for the season and forecasted weather. Wear clothing appropriate for being active outdoors.
- Shorts, tights, loose fitting pants, or sweatpants are appropriate.
Top: T-shirt, sport top. Extra long sleeve layers even in the summer, the shade in the mornings can be cool.
- Rugged outdoor footwear is recommended such as hiking shoes or tennis shoes. Open toed shoes and sandals are not advised.
Smith Rock State Park Entrance Fee a $5.00 parking pass is required and can be bought at one of the credit card self pay kiosks. The kiosk accepts cash and credit cards. An annual Oregon State Park pass works as well.