Intro to Trad Gear
Trad Gear and Anchors: An Introduction
This hands on, intro course will focus on basic principals, techniques and skills for using traditional climbing protection; cams, nuts, tricams, hexes, natural features, etc.
We will focus on applying protection skills into the context of anchor building for top rope set up, top belay and lead climbing. Learn tools and develop your bag of tricks for confident efficient trad climbing. The curriculum will be presented with a balance of instruction and hands on practice. No previous trad rock climbing experience is necessary. We can provide all trad gear and equipment needed. Let us help you take your sport climbs to the next level!
Essential Trad Skills for Anchor Building and Lead Climbing
The Traditional Climbing Rack
- Define and explore hands on, each type of trad gear and how they are used.
- Build a starter rack to match your goals, ability and the areas you climb.
- Selection- selecting the correct size and type
- Placement- optimal placement to best match terrain features
Putting it all together! Covering core anchor building principals and explore the different options of joining protection points to create solid anchor systems for top roping and top belaying.
Placing Trad Gear on Lead
Learn and explore the basic principles and considerations of placing trad gear on lead:
- Racking up-preparing and organizing your gear
- Stances- efficient, comfortable crack climbing technique
- Assessing terrain and rock quality
- Extensions to mitigate rope drag and optimal stability
- Spacing- recognizing and protecting terrain hazards
- Removing and re-racking gear as a second climber
All initial lead practice will be done as a “mock” lead (with added security of a top rope, on belay).
2023 Course Dates
April 29th, May 21st, June 23rd, July 29th, August 20th
Courses are $180 per person, a minimum of two people required to run a course
If the listed course ‘dates don’t work with your schedule, all courses can be arranged as a Private Guided Day Trip – customized to your needs, on the day you choose.