Learn How to Lead Climb
Intro level courses for Sport or Trad Lead Climbing
Learn the essential skills and techniques of lead climbing and be ready for the next level!
We will cover the considerations and practice the skills to move from top rope climbing to lead climbing. We will follow a progression from ground school of route selection gear, racking, clipping styles then putting it together with mock leads (practice with a top-rope belay) on appropriate level climbs. Putting into practice all the skills working toward confidence and comfort for your first lead climbs.
Sport Lead Climbing
If you have experience climbing and belaying on top rope indoors or out and ready for the next level, sport lead climbing on bolts is a typical next step in progression.
- Route selection: using Guidebooks, apps and internet resources.
- Prepare and rack your gear; personalize your system.
- Quick-draws and clipping lead rope considerations.
- Efficient movement for lead climbing
- Building solid and equalized anchors to cover many situations.
- Cleaning a sport anchor – lowering or rappelling down safely.
- Lead belay techniques, using Gri-Gri and tube style device.
- Rope management considerations for lead climber and belayer.
- Universal climbing etiquette and awareness of local standards and ethics.
- Lead belay techniques
Traditional Lead Climbing
Understand the fundamental techniques and tools of trad gear placement for lead climbing and anchor building principles for top ropes.
Establish solid judgment through a progression style approach-utilizing “mock-lead” back-up for added safety.
Trad leading curriculum includes:
- Building a rack: essential traditional gear. Create your racking system.
- Placing and removing traditional protection for lead climbing and anchors.
- Rope drag prevention techniques, extension tools and strategies
- Climbing route selections, guide book descriptions and terrain assessment.
- How to lead belay according to trad climbing considerations
2023 Course Dates
Sport Leading May 26th, June 17th, July 8th, Aug 12th
Courses are $180 per person, a minimum of three people required to run a course
Trad Leading May 27th, July 29th, Aug 20th
If the listed dates don’t work with your schedule, all courses can be arranged as a private guiding customized to your needs, on the day you choose.
Private Guided Day Trips