Rock Climbing for the Family
Spending the day rock climbing outside together, in a beautiful place, challenging yourselves, while supporting and trusting each other makes rock climbing an excellent and memorable family activity.
Share the Adventure
Customized Family Climbing Day
Make the first time on the rocks with the whole family the best it can be! Some of our guides are dads and moms too! We are experienced with youth and families and do an excellent job creating an environment in which kids, parents and grandparents can feel comfortable challenging themselves. Our guides will choose climbs suited to the ages and abilities in your family. It is possible to offer routes for beginners next to more challenging climbs for those who are already experienced. Our goal is fun, and for everyone to feel successful as well as challenged.
Climbing is for All Ages
Humans are natural climbers. We all start out climbing up on furniture, counters, jungle gyms, and trees. Children have a natural ability. For adults it’s often fun just to reconnect with the climber in us all. For those with younger children or a shorter time limit the half day is often the suitable time length. If your family wants to allow for more exploring of Smith Rock, and hiking from one climbing area to another, a full day is more appropriate. Join us for an unforgettable rock climbing adventure!
READY TO GO CLIMBING?
If you still have questions about your rock climbing trip at Smith Rock or any of our climbing programs please do not hesitate to contact us
All necessary rock climbing equipment is included. We will provide climbing shoes, harness and helmet at no additional charge. Let us know your gear needs upon reservation. You are welcome to bring your personal climbing gear if you prefer.
We welcome all experience levels. No previous climbing experience or special training is required to enjoy a fun, rock climbing experience. Rock climbing is more balance, footwork, leg strength and less emphasis on upper body strength. If it is your first time rock climbing, you need only a general level of fitness similar for any outdoor activity:
- Comfortable, confident hiking on trails and uneven terrain
- Comfortable in high desert climate outside for 4-8 hrs
- We will choose appropriate climbs to suit your needs and ability.
We do not have set start times. With the half day you choose your 4 hour window. For the full day you decide on a start time with a full day of climbing in mind. Our days start as early as 7:00 am and we can climb until sunset.
You will meet your guide at Smith Rock State Park. You will receive a tour confirmation email and guide check in call the evening prior to confirm the exact meeting location details.
Your guide will contact you by cell phone the evening prior to your climbing date to go over details; confirm meet up location and time, review your climbing goals, get gear needs or any information specific to your trip.
- Bring water (2 liters minimum each person for hot summer days). Water bottles can be filled at the parking area of Smith Rock State Park.
- A hearty sack lunch and packable snacks.
Sunscreen, sunglasses and perhaps a sun hat.
- A backpack; large enough to include, water, lunch, snacks, as well as personal climbing gear (shoes, harness, helmet). If you do not have a suitable backpack, we can provide one. Let your guide know ahead of time.
- Extra clothing in case of colder weather. (see below for details).
- Dress for the season and forecasted weather. Wear clothing appropriate for being active outdoors.
- Shorts, tights, loose fitting pants, or sweatpants are appropriate.
Top: T-shirt, sport top. Extra long sleeve layers even in the summer, the shade in the mornings can be cool.
- Rugged outdoor footwear is recommended such as hiking shoes or tennis shoes. Open toed shoes and sandals are not advised.
Smith Rock State Park Entrance Fee a $5.00 parking pass is required and can be bought at one of the credit card self pay kiosks. The kiosk accepts cash and credit cards. An annual Oregon State Park pass works as well.